Call Now For A Free Consultation 208-552-0467
Idaho Rules of the Road: Passing with Care
Many car accidents occur due to not passing with care. The following is the Idaho Rules of the Road regarding passing with care.
Idaho Code § 49-631. PASSING VEHICLES PROCEEDING IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS
Drivers of vehicles proceeding in opposite directions shall pass each other to the right. Upon highways having width for not more than one (1) line of traffic in each direction, each driver shall give to the other at least one-half the main traveled portion of the highway as possible.
Idaho Code § 49-632. OVERTAKING A VEHICLE ON THE LEFT
The following shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations, exceptions and special requirements stated:
- The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle.
- Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of his vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.
Idaho Code § 49-633. WHEN PASSING ON THE RIGHT IS PERMITTED
- The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
- When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
- Upon a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two (2) or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.
- The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. That movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.
Idaho Code § 49-634. LIMITATIONS ON OVERTAKING ON THE LEFT
No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center of the highway in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, unless the left side is clearly visible and free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit the overtaking and passing to be completely made without interfering with the operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction or any vehicle overtaken. In every event the overtaking vehicle must return to an authorized lane of travel as soon as practicable and in the event the passing movement involves the use of a lane authorized for vehicles approaching from the opposite direction, before coming within two hundred (200) feet of any approaching vehicle.
Car Accident Attorneys
If you have been involved in a car accident, call the experienced, trusted and aggressive car crash lawyers at Brent Gordon Law Firm. Our law office offers free consultation to discuss your case with an experienced car accident lawyer. Call our Idaho Falls law office at 208-552-0467 or our Pocatello law office at 208-232-7274 to get started.
Call Now For A Free Consultation 208-552-0467 7 Tips for Parents of Teen Drivers Car accidents are the leading cause of death for teens age 15 to 20. When a teenager is driving other teens, their risk of being involved in a fatal car accident doubles. Each year, drivers under the age of 18 are…Read More
Call Now For A Free Consultation 208-552-0467 Vehicle Forced Off Road Following Car Crash With snowy weather comes slick roadways. Slick roadway conditions caused a truck accident near Eugene according to ODOT. A tanker truck was involved in the truck accident forcing state crews to close the highway west of Oakridge for about two hours.…Read More
Idaho Falls Law Office
Our Idaho Falls, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Idaho Falls, including for injuries and accidents in Ammon, Rigby, injuries and accidents in Shelley and Blackfoot, and injuries and accidents in Rexburg. If you are looking for an attorney in the Idaho Falls area, visit or call our Idaho Falls office now.
3423 Merlin Dr., Idaho Falls, ID 83404
Pocatello Law Office
Our Pocatello, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Pocatello, including for injuries and accidents in Chubbuck. If you are looking for an attorney in the Pocatello area, call our Pocatello office now. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Call (208) 232-7274 for a free consultation.
151 North 3rd, Suite 202A Pocatello, ID 83204