Call Now For A Free Consultation 208-552-0467
Idaho Rules of the Road: Exceptions to Driving on Right Side of Roadway
Often times a car accident may occur from a vehicle driving on the left side of the road in an attempt to overtake another vehicle. The following are exceptions to driving on right side of roadway under Idaho Rules of the Road.
Idaho Code § 49-630. Drive on Right Side of Roadway – Exceptions.
- Upon all highways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway except as follows:
- When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;
- When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway. Any person doing so shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within a distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;
- Upon a highway divided into three (3) marked lanes for traffic under the applicable rules; or
- Upon a highway restricted to one-way traffic.
- Upon all highways any vehicle proceeding at less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing, shall be driven in the right-hand lane available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the highway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
- No vehicle shall be driven to the left of the center line upon any highway having four (4) or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, except when authorized by a traffic-control device designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the highway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under subsection (1)(b) of this section. This subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the centerline in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road or driveway.
Idaho Code § 49-635. Further Limitation on Driving on Left of Center of Highway
- No vehicle shall be driven on the left side of the highway under the following conditions:
- When approaching or upon the crest of a grade or a curve in the highway where the driver’s view is obstructed within a distance as to create a hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction;
- When approaching within one hundred (100) feet of or traversing any intersection or railroad grade crossing, unless otherwise indicated by traffic control devices;
- When the view is obstructed upon approaching within one hundred (100) feet of any bridge, viaduct or tunnel.
- The foregoing limitations shall not apply upon a one-way highway, nor under the conditions described in subsection (1)(b) of section 49-630, Idaho Code, nor to the driver of a vehicle turning left into or from an alley, private road or driveway.
- A motorist may drive to the left of no passing pavement markings to complete a passing maneuver started in advance of the no-passing zone, providing the requirements of section 49-634, Idaho Code, are met.
- The provisions of this section do not apply under the conditions described in section 49-630(1)(b), Idaho Code, nor to the driver of a vehicle turning into, or from a highway.
Car Accident Lawyers
If you have been involved in a car accident due to the negligence of another, contact the personal injury attorneys at Brent Gordon Law Firm. Our law firm offers a free consultation to discuss your case with an experienced personal injury attorney. Call our Pocatello or Idaho Falls office today to get started in receiving the most compensation for your car accident case.
Call Now For A Free Consultation 208-552-0467 7 Tips for Parents of Teen Drivers Car accidents are the leading cause of death for teens age 15 to 20. When a teenager is driving other teens, their risk of being involved in a fatal car accident doubles. Each year, drivers under the age of 18 are…Read More
Call Now For A Free Consultation 208-552-0467 Vehicle Forced Off Road Following Car Crash With snowy weather comes slick roadways. Slick roadway conditions caused a truck accident near Eugene according to ODOT. A tanker truck was involved in the truck accident forcing state crews to close the highway west of Oakridge for about two hours.…Read More
Idaho Falls Law Office
Our Idaho Falls, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Idaho Falls, including for injuries and accidents in Ammon, Rigby, injuries and accidents in Shelley and Blackfoot, and injuries and accidents in Rexburg. If you are looking for an attorney in the Idaho Falls area, visit or call our Idaho Falls office now.
3423 Merlin Dr., Idaho Falls, ID 83404
Pocatello Law Office
Our Pocatello, Idaho law office services clients in and surrounding Pocatello, including for injuries and accidents in Chubbuck. If you are looking for an attorney in the Pocatello area, call our Pocatello office now. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Call (208) 232-7274 for a free consultation.
151 North 3rd, Suite 202A Pocatello, ID 83204